Back Lane Circular Walking Trail
Craig Manor Lake District Walking Route: Craig Manor to Back Lane Circular
Trail description: The Back Lane circular will take you along quaint country lanes and roads, and through wooded paths with views of the Golf Club. This is a wonderful opportunity to stretch your legs and explore some beautiful Lake District countryside.
Trail Notes: This walk will take you along some country lanes as well as some roads without a footpath. Please make sure to adhere to the Highway Code when walking on the roads.
Time: 2h 56 mins
Distance: 8.6 miles
1) Cross the road from Craig Manor and take a right. Wander along the A5074 for about 2 minutes until you reach Biskey Howe Road, then take a left.
2) Carry on down Biskey Howe Road for 6 minutes until you reach a T-junction. Take a left on Helm Road, then a quick right down a path marked with the name, ‘Brantfell Farm and Birkdale’. Keep going for another 6 minutes until you get to Dales Way, then take the hard left along Dales Way lane. When you reach the Lickbarrow Rd, cross over to stay on Dales Way.
3) After 15 minutes you will reach another turning. Head right and once you reach the B5284, take a left. Continue for 1.9 miles until you reach a sign for Gilpin Farm. Take a right.
4) Continue down Back Lane and follow the road to the right when you reach a black and white signpost (it will indicate you are going towards Winster).
5) Take the next right, which will take you across the River Gilpin. After a fork in the road, where you will take the left, continue down the country lane until you reach a T-junction, where you will make another right.
6) After a short distance you will reach the end of the road, where you will take a left onto Stile Brow. This road will take you past Knipe Tarn, a small picturesque lake to the left. Continue on the road until it joins the A5074.
7) 7. Continue on the A5074, which will veer to the right and pass several hotels before taking you into the middle of Bowness. Take the right hand road (the A592) and at the roundabout, take the right turning onto Crag Brow. Turning into Lake Road, this will take you all the way back to Craig Manor.
Points of Interest
You will find lots of picturesque countryside, winding rivers and small lakes that are ideal for photo opportunities on your walk. Windermere Town centre has a fine selection of shops, pubs and restaurants, perfectly placed so you can relax in at the end of your journey. There is also the Windermere Golf Club that is worth noting, in case you decide to have a pit stop and play a few rounds.