School Knott Walking Trail
Craig Manor Lake District Walking Route: Biskey Howe to School Knott
Trail description: This Craig Walk is through the beautiful countryside that is typical of the lower Lakeland Fells. Offering some great scenic views and spectacular views across Lake Windermere and the surrounding Fells. Although the walk isn’t unduly strenuous, there are a few steep climbs including the pull up to the summit of School Knott.
Trail Notes: The majority of this Craig Walk is on gravelled paths and tracks, the walk does includes rougher terrain in places some places as well as obstacles such as stiles and kissing gates. This walk may not be suitable for disabled access because of this.
Time: 2 hours+
Distance: 5m (8.04km)
1) Upon exiting the Craig Manor Hotel turn right on to Lake Road, follow the road and take the third exit onto the long stretch that is Biskey Howe Road. Nearing the end of the road you’ll find a path to your right marked for Biskey Howe Viewpoint. Follow this to see the Biskey Howe Toposcope and stunning views across Lake Windermere and the outlining fells and mountains.
2) Once you’re ready to re-embark, retrace your steps back to Biskey Howe Road and continue down the road in the direction you was heading. Just around the first corner you will come across a fork in the road, take the path to the left and then turn down the first footpath to the right marked with a wooden sign post.
3) Stick to the path for approx. 250m and take the path to the left, turning onto Dales Way. Continuing along Dales Way and stick to the left when it splits into two.
4) After passing some cottages to the right of the path cross Lickbarrow Road going through the gates at both sides of the road and continue along Dales Way.
5) Following on through Dales Way you will join a road that leads onto the B5284. Once on the B5284 turn left and after approx. 300m take the path to your left. This takes you back onto Dales Way and towards the ‘Unnamed Tarn’ which will be on your left, which is a fantastic picnic spot if you brought supplies and fancy taking a break.
6) After passing the tarn you will cross Scout Beck, upon which you will find a split in the path, turn off the direction you were currently on and take the other path heading to your right.
7) Following this path leads onto School Knott tarn and then onto the summit of School Knott. School knott gives you a stunning view across the north of Windermere and its lake as well as fine views of the Kirkstone Fells on the way up.
8) Continuing along the path, taking a left upon joining back up with Dales Way.
9) Stick to the path for around 150m before taking a path to the right leading back across Scout Beck.
10) Now follow the path back across Lickbarrow Road, after around 200m at the split in the path take the path to the right. This gravel pathway puts you onto Park Road, Turn left and follow the road all the way to a T junction at the end.
11) At the T junction turn right joining a familiar road named ‘Craig Walk’ following this puts you back onto Lake Road (A5074), upon reaching Lake Road turn left and you will find the Craig Manor Hotel not that far to your right (roughly 300m).
Points of Interest
School Knott and its tarn just below are considered one of the best kept secrets of the area and is located to the east of Windermere. The summit of School Knott boasts stunning views over Lake Windermere and the mountains beyond.
It’s highly recommended that you stop and take a breather at Biskey Howe. It offers stunning views up the ten and a half miles of Lake Windermere to the central fells. The toposcope board at the summit of Biskey Howe shows you what you are looking at.
Although we are only on Dales Way for a relatively short part of the trail, Dales Way is actually an 84 mile footpath that stretches from the shores of Lake Windermere all the way to Ilkley in West Yorkshire.