Esthwaite Water Walking Trail
Craig Manor Lake District Walking Route: Craig Manor to Esthwaite Water
Trail description: The walk will take you through Windermere, across the ferry to Mitchell Wyke Ferry Bay and then all the way
around Esthwaite water, back along the same route to Craig Manor
Trail Notes: The walk itself is along country roads and includes a short ferry ride there and back. It’s a long walk and
will take up to 5 hours (including ferry time). Although there are also many pubs to stop in for a quick beverage and
Time: Just under 4 hours
Distance: 11.3 miles (18.2km)
1) Take a right as you leave Craig Manor along Lake Road and into the centre of Bowness. Carry on down
Crag Brow and bare left at the roundabout onto the A592.
2) Turn left onto Kendal Rd, then take a right onto Back Belsfield Rd. At the end of the road you will come back
onto the A592.
3) Follow the A592 until you reach the B5285, take a right turn towards the car ferry.
4) Once you’ve enjoyed a quick ferry ride across to Mitchell Wyke Ferry Bay, you will find yourself on the B5285
for 0.4 miles (11 min).
5) The B5285 will take you through Far Sawrey to Near Sawrey.
6) Then carry on along the side of Esthwaite Water to Hawkshead.
7) Once through Hawkshead continue along the B5285, following the road as it curves left around the lake. Then carry
on following the road until you’ve completed the Esthwaite circuit and are back at Near Sawrey.
8) Follow the road from Near Sawrey back to the Ferry
9) Then enjoy the route back to the Ferry and follow the route you took from Craig Manor.
Points of Interest
Windermere Town Centre
Windermere has lots to do and has a rich heritage
waiting to be discovered. There are plenty of pubs, cafes,
restaurants and even tour companies, libraries and a train
station to give easy access to beautiful locations in the
Lake District. If you’re stuck for inspiration then pop by the
Tourist Information Centre.
Far & Near Sawrey
A quaint little hamlet on the route, with a few pubs and
B&B’s that serve exceptional food and drink; perfect for
taking a break from the well-trodden path and resting your
feet before carrying on
Hawkshead is set on the gorgeous Estwaite Water. A
wonderful village steeped in history, with connections to
William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter. This village has
excellent cafés, pubs and restaurants to relax and enjoy
the view before returning back to Craig Manor.